What clicks your mind when you hear the term Marketing? Basically, it is an organizational approach that creates a demand for any products and services.
While Marketing Operations is fairly a new concept its root is stretched back to the 1920’s. The evolution of the marketing operation begun through divergent principles and emerge out as the paramount structure with the increasing popularity.
Timeline of the Marketing Operations
- Back in the 1920’s or better recognized as the golden age of Radio. The promoters initiated their market research to get the better understanding of the competitors and census. This led to the market separation – a popular method which is still practiced today.
- Procter & Gamble (P&G) – a reputed brand Management team to zoom in on the product details, market views and consumers. Today Brand Management and Marketing procedures fraternize to synchronize brand messaging and work done.
- It was in 1961 when Marketing Science Institute was found for advanced research terms and marketing concepts such as marketing ROI and brand equity. Later, Peter Drucker in his book Management Responsibilities, Practices profess the marketing goal –Understand the customer in such a way that your product fits and sells itself.
- With continuous changing themes and trends, in late 90’s marketing automation software was launched to take the step toward mainstream adoption. With so much up gradation and changes in 90’s marketing operations modernized in a more sophisticated way in the upcoming years.
- With the beginning of 2000, the new marketing operation featured the metrics and technology for better marketing practices. In 2005 Analyst firm International Data Corporation determined the growth of the Marketing Operations in its marketing study. Later the first professional association targeted on other practices and the marketing operations. The same year Marketing Operations Cross-Company Alliance (MOCCA) was entrenched by Mikel Irizar, Larissa DeCarlo, and other members.
- It was in 2007, the first framework outlining the Marketing operations was detailed by Adrian C.Ott that featured different marketing functions including total strategy, tracking, techniques, talent and technology (5T’s).The journey to the marketing operations maturity is still best adopted by many top brands.
- Till 2011 Marketing operations were recognized as the fastest growing profession and 4th most staffed marketing function in the bigger organizations. In 2014, the Marketing Operations and Technology Summit showcased the marketing field more broadly to further add organizational agility, career path, customer experience, and collaboration.
So this is what all about the yesteryears of the marketing operations.
Marketing operation is the hottest growing field today and has been indicated as one of the fastest growing professions in the circle of marketing.
Infographic brought to you by Wrike free project management scheduling software