In the current economic realities, businesses often resort to cost optimization methods to stay on track and create a competitive product. More and more often, companies turn to outsource services in order to reduce costs and focus on their core activities.
This model of cooperation in the current market conditions reduces the cost growth rate, enhances the competitiveness of products, and provides more competitive service to its customers. It becomes possible due to the fact that the resource provided by the outsourcing company is able to perform a specific type of activity better, and also with the least time and financial costs. Usually, outsourcing is used for accounting, IT solutions (software development, software testing and QA), translation, advertising services, security, and many more services.
There are the pros and cons of outsourcing technology/software functions to a third party. Today we will concentrate on IT, specifically software testing services.
The cost-effectiveness benefits of outsourcing software testing are quite obvious, but the pitfalls are not always so obvious. We will try to assess when savings on human resources are justified vs. when they harm the production.
Benefits of outsourcing software testing services:
- Giving software testing to outsource allows the company to focus on the main business processes and not be distracted by secondary operations. Thanks to outsourcing software testing, you can invest more time, effort, and resources in the core activity and goals.
- Such cooperation with outsourcing software testing agencies significantly reduces the cost of implementing business processes. Usually, the services of an outsourcing firm are cheaper than the salary of an in-house QA-expert. Besides, you do not have to pay tax.
- Usually, outsourcing software testing services have a fixed cost, which allows you to plan your investments.
- It frees up the internal resources of the company, which can be used for other purposes.
- It allows you to reduce some risks.
- You gain access to high technologies. Do you need a high-class specialist to set up a QA service? Do you want to implement the latest development and stand out from the competition thanks to the software testing? Now it is not a problem.
- You get a guarantee of results. The contractor is fully responsible for its employees’ competence and undertakes to provide all specialized services under the current contract.
Pitfalls of hiring outsourcing software testing company
- The main difficulty associated with outsourcing is the choice of a reliable provider. In this aspect, you should be guided by the company’s reputation, its experience of successful project implementation, and feedback. Success depends on whether the company will be able to choose the right outsourcing service provider from the very beginning.
- As a rule, some problems are possible due to establishing interaction between the contractor (outsourcing software testing company) and the client, as well as the adaptation.
- Outsourcing increases the risks of internal corporate information leaks and decreases the security level. One of the main reasons why the heads of organizations do not want to use the outsourcing services is the fear of leakage of information. Though it seems to me that in most cases, information leakage occurs due to internal employees.
- Lack of control over the outsourcing company is the next pitfall. The customer should not weaken the control over the tasks entrusted to the external company too much.
- Errors in contract drafting. The contract development is very important in any case because it helps the parties to form their expectations from future cooperation and to prepare for the long-term goals.
Now you seem to know the pros and cons of outsourcing technology/software functions to a third party. But the objective advantages of IT-outsourcing still exceed the possible disadvantages. And if we take a closer look on advantages of outsourcing and disadvantages, it becomes clear that all possible risks are somehow connected with the customer’s shortsightedness or bad faith of the contractor. In other words, to secure yourself, it is enough to observe only a few conditions:
- to plan your business strategy clearly;
- examining the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of using software testing outsourcing;
- to cooperate only with proven and reliable executors – here you can find the list of leading software testing companies.