There are several reasons why you will head to the watch company to purchase a watch. Everyone has their own personal and specific reason as to why they need a watch. Yours might be different from the rest but in most instances, they will fall under one of the following:
- It is practical: Apart from the watch telling time, but they can also tell you about the date, day and time which is in other zones. It will be able to remind you of the appointment that you have, ensure that you wake up, and at the same time, monitor your heartbeat.
- It tends to be fashionable: The style of watches defines and reflects the times from ultra-thin dress styles to sports chronographs. This means that they are an accessory which is very important.
- It is prestigious: There are some watches which carry the tradition and grace of names which are recognized all over the world. This makes them signify the highest elegance in timepieces and jewelry.
- It is artistic: The watches which are known to be fine are designed by craftspeople and artisans who fashion case, dial, bracelet, and at times gem into not only the watch itself but make it a piece of art.
- It is a potential heirloom: It is possible for your watch to be an investment in value and beauty. Certain diamonds and gold watches, over time, do increase in value. If you go to some famous auction houses, you will be shocked at the prices some watches fetch. It is also a lovely remembrance of a loved one.
- It is priced to fit your budget: Whatever the price range you have, whatever the need you might be having, there will always be a watch for you. In case you are the type who enjoy changing watches to fit the activity which you are involved in, you will get less expensive fashionable yet highly accurate watches from your jeweler in various price and style ranges. If you are in a position to afford a watch which is a bit extravagant, precious metal watch which has gemstones, you will also get a wide range to choose from.
Type of watches
There are various type of watches that you will come across in the market which will include:
- Mechanicals: This is traditional wind-up watches which work as a result of a mainstream which is in the watch which you will wind by ensuring that you turn the crown on the watch’s side. The spring will gradually unwind and turn tiny interlocking wheels which will then move the hands of the watch to be able to measure hours, minutes and seconds.
- Self-winding or automatic: This is watches which wind themselves when you move your wrist. The action of your arm cause weight behind the movement to be able to rotate and this makes the mainspring to wind. You can also wind them manually.
- Quartz: These are watches which are powered by batteries instead of the mechanical spring. The batteries are the ones which send electronic impulses through the synthetic quartz crystal small bar which vibrates more than 32,000 per second. The vibrations are then channeled through various gears which result in giving out one impulse per second.
The quartz watches are generally more accurate as compared to the mechanical watches due to the fact that: mechanical watches tend to have many parts which are moving to mean, there is more friction while the accuracy is reduced when the parts interact. The digital watches tend not to have moving parts.
The next reason could be due to the fact that the quartz crystals are constant and amazingly vibrations which are frequent per every second, enabling the watch to measure the second with accuracy which is unprecedented. A quartz watch needs to function in a proper way for quite a long time with a life of the battery which might be up to 5 years.
- Digital and analog: It refers to the way the time is displayed on the dial. The analog refers to the way the hands of the watch are displayed, the traditional way. Quartz analog watches are the ones which are channeled to a step motor from the battery through the crystal of the quartz which makes the hands move. The digital type of watches displays the time in digit numbers instead of using hands. The numerals are normally created by either liquid crystal display (LCD) or light-emitting diodes (LED).
- Special feature: There are a variety of tasks which are performed by the watch. Apart from being able to tell hours, minutes, and time, there are watches which reveal year, month and day. There are even some which give the moon phase or the time zones of different localities.